The Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows story
1976 marked the beginning of operations for the Boys & Girls Club of Truckee Meadows. The Club was formed and financed by local business men and women and many concerned citizens. In late 1981, the Club’s main facility opened at its current location on E. 9th St. in Reno, NV – the Club now boasts a total of 20 locations throughout the Truckee Meadows.
The Club is open to any youth age 6-18. Membership to the Club is an affordable $20 annually. This fee includes general programming in the afterschool program at the Neil Road, Donald W. Reynolds Facility, Sun Valley Teen Center, the Club Teen Center at Larry D. Johnson Community Center, the Club Teen Center at Hug High School, and other school sites.
The Club does bussing from dozens of Washoe County schools, and nutritious meals are served daily at the Donald W. Reynolds Facility and other sites. Additional fees are required for some sites — please contact the membership office at (775) 331-KIDS (5437) for fee details.
No child is ever turned away from the Club for financial reasons.
At the Donald W. Reynolds Facility on East Ninth Street, the Club is open 2:30 – 8 p.m. Monday – Friday for the After School Program, 7:45 a.m.-4 p.m. for the Track Break Program, 9 a.m.-5 p.m. on Saturdays and 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. on school vacations.
The Club also has a Summer Day Camp at locations throughout the Truckee Meadows. The Club at the Donald W. Reynolds Facility is equipped with a state of the art kitchen, a dedicated cafeteria/multi-purpose room, games room, learning center and library, the Teen Center, computer lab, an outdoor pavilion, a large 17,000-square-foot gymnasium, and a playground.
The new Boys & Girls Club of Fernley is also affiliated with the Truckee Meadows Club. Although administration functions are performed in Reno, the Fernley Club is independently funded and staffed. The Club started with summer camp programming, and will transition into traditional before- and after-school programming at the start of the 2010-2011 school year.
About the national Boys & Girls Club
The Boys & Girls Club’s mission is to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
The Club provides:
- A safe place to learn and grow…
- Ongoing relationships with caring, adult professionals…
- Life-enhancing programs and character development experiences…
- Hope and opportunity.
The Club’s history
Boys & Girls Clubs of America had its beginnings in 1860 with several women in Hartford, Conn. Believing that boys who roamed the streets should have a positive alternative, they organized the first Club. A cause was born.
In 1906, several Boys Clubs decided to affiliate. The Federated Boys Clubs in Boston was formed with 53 member organizations – this marked the start of a nationwide Movement.
In 1931, the Boys Club Federation of America became Boys Clubs of America.
In 1956, Boys Clubs of America celebrated its 50th anniversary and received a U.S. Congressional Charter.
To recognize the fact that girls are a part of our cause, the national organization’s name was changed to Boys & Girls Clubs of America in 1990. Accordingly, Congress amended and renewed our charter.
2006 marked the Centennial year of Boys & Girls Clubs of America, as we celebrated 100 years of providing hope and opportunity to young people across the country.
Character development has been the cornerstone of the Boys & Girls Club experience since the first Club opened in 1860. The first Club professional, John Collins, devised a system of informal guidance to attract boys into the Club, capture their interest, improve their behavior and increase their personal expectations and goals.
The procedures Collins used constituted a clearly planned, socially scientific system of taking boys off the street and promoting their development towards a successful, productive future. This system formed the basis of the Boys & Girls Club environment. It is still in use today with proven results.
Boys & Girls Clubs of America believes that character development, the basic building block in personal development, should be an integral aspect of every Club program and activity. In support of this conviction, Aaron Fahringer, a regional director for the west coast in the 1950s, scripted the Boys & Girls Club Code as part of the celebration of the golden anniversary of the Movement. The code was adopted as official by the National Council in 1955, and was used extensively in the 50s and 60s. The Code is still displayed in many Clubs today.